(m 1045 s.l.m. 42° 04’ 54” N – 13° 35’ 29” E)
A possession of the Abbey of Farfa in 814, the name Agello derives from the word Aigù or Agù (water) and El (high) and it means “high town” on the lake Fucino. The same word was used even in the 9th Century in the first book of the Chronicon Farfense. On the contrary, in the 10th Century, specifically in 971, the village was called Villa Agello, still owned by the monastery of Farfa.
In 1280, in the
Catalogus baronum, it is quoted as possession of Rainaldo, the Count of Celano. In 1400, the town was named Agellum, the Latin word from which derives the word Ajelli and also the current name, Aielli. The town was involved in the fate of the Marsica thorughout the Middle Ages.
Surrounded, to the east and west, by two streams that descend to the bed of the former Lake Fucino, it is situated on a spur of calcareous rock easily defendable. It is delimited, to the north, by the Etra-Secine and S. Pietro Mountains that ensure mild winter conditions, with crystals of gypsum-rich soils (La Sterpata), bitumen-rich soils (Foci) and calcified fossils and sea shells (Liscia).
Destroyed by the earthquake of 1915, Aielli was rebuilt farther down, around the Pescara-Roma train station. But the City Hall has not been transferred due to the revolt of the inhabitants. Once repopulated, Aielli has become one of the richest areas of interest of the Sirente-Velino Park, gaining the reputation of “Marsica Balcony” due to its panoramic views.

Not to be missed:

Places of historic and artistic interest:

  • Church of Santissima Trinità

  • Church of San Rocco

  • Church of San Giuseppe

  • The Memorial Chapel (Sacrarium), close to the church of San Giuseppe

  • The Observatory (Torre delle Stelle)

  • The Astronomical Museum (Museo del cielo)

  • The three doors of the ancient village: MontanaraJannetella and Terra (also called porta Nuova)

  • The remains of the anciet walls and some remains of the ocres marso of Agellum (Costa Pelara Mountain)

  • The remains of the italic walls and the necropolis (Secine Mountains and around Castello and Rio di Aielli Alto)


Main annual events:

  • May 9, Aielli Alto: feast of Madonna della Vittoria (Our Lady of Victory)

  • August 12: feast of the saints of Aielli, Aielli Alto and Aielli Stazione

  • Third Sunday of August, Aielli Stazione: feast of Immacolata

  • Last Sunday of August: feast of the Croce nei prati di Santa Maria and hiking in the mountains




For further information:


Aielli is part of the circuit of the “Borghi più belli d’Italia” (the most beautiful villages in Italy).