Vicovaro

(300 m above sea level, 42 ° 01'N, 12 ° 54'E)

Vicuàru, according to the local dialect, is in the metropolitan city of Rome Capitale, which is 45 km away from the regional road number 5 – Tiburtina. It is at the bottom of the Monti Lucretili where there is a homonym Natural Regional Park, adjacent to the Monti Tiburtini where the Aniene river flows. The area was already inhabited in the Neolithic period of the final bronze, attested by the 1912 excavations, it was a “vicus” in the late Roman period and became a fortified castle in the Middle Ages. It belonged to San Cosimato in 1140; to the Orsini family in 1200. Before 1600, it was called Vicus Varronis and also Vicus Valerius. Hence, the current name.

 

Places of cultural interest:

  • Cyclopean walls (IV century BC) in opus quadratum

  • The “Acqua Claudia” and "Acqua Marcia" aqueducts

  • Cenci Bolognetti palace, residence of the Orsini family

  • The shrine of St. James brearing the signature of Giovanni Antonio Orsini

  • St. Peter's Church

  • The church of San Sabino

  • The church of St. Anthony Abbot

  • St. Mary Church of the Sepulchre

  • The church of San Rocco

  • The Church of San Salvatore

  • The Gothic chapel, now dedicated to Loreto

  • Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie

  • The Convent of San Cosimato

 

The Vicovaro historical dishes are: polenta with snails and the meringues, the Vicovaro loaf, pizza bread, the “frascarelli”, the “nociata”, the “pastorelle di Sant’Antonio”, the unleavened pizza with vegetables, the “pizza cresciuta”, cookies with nuts, “tisichelle”, “amaretti”, ladyfingers, the Vicovaro donut, “maritozzi” and tozzetti

 

----------

For further information

www.comunedivicovaro.it/

http://www.vicovaroturismo.it/

Vicovaro is part of the way of San Benedetto, between Mandela and Subbiaco.