(356 m above sea level - 42 ° 13 'N - 13 ° 55' E)
Tocco da Casauria (Tuòcche in the local dialect) is an Italian municipality of 2,724 inhabitants in the province of Pescara. It is on a hill, between the Valley of Pescara and the Arollo Valley, against the backdrop of the Maiella and Morrone, above the Tiburtina Valeria, at the mouth of the so-called Gole di Popoli (gorges of Popoli) which is 40 kilometers away from Chieti and Pescara.
Tocco da Casauria (the word Casauria was added by the Royal Decree 22/01/1863 n. 1140) was an ancient Roman period stopping house (near a temple called Casauria, a place of sacred prostitution). It is mentioned in medieval documents, in the years 872 and 967, in the Catalogus Baronum (1150- 1168). And in the 12th century the village grew around the Saint Eustache church and the castle which, due to its strategic position, become crucial to defend the territory between the gorges of Popoli and the valley.
Places of cultural interest:
Church of Sant’Eustachio
Church of Madonna delle Grazie
The Franciscan Convent of the Osservanza "Santa Maria del Paradiso”
The Church of San Domenico
The museum of Francesco Paolo Michetti (his old house)
In Tocco da Casauria were born: Francesco Guelfi Filomusi (Tocco da Casauria, November 21, 1842 - Tocco da Casauria, October 22, 1922), professor and politician; Gennaro Manna (Tocco da Casauria in 1922 - Rome, April 11, 1990), writer and poet; Francesco Paolo Michetti (Tocco da Casauria, August 4, 1851 - Francavilla al Mare, March 5, 1929), painter and photographer; Sandro Sticca (Tocco da Casauria), university professor and writer of historical essays; Domenico Stromei (Tocco da Casauria, 28 November 1810-3 May 1883), poet.
Tocco is among the firsts, in Italy, to obtain an official recognition by the European Union for its Protected Designation of Origin extra virgin olive oil "Aprutino Pescara" produced from native olive tree called "Toccolano". It also offers premium quality wines
The geographical position of Tocco, at the entrance of Popoli Gorges, allow the so called "aerial tide" with a wind that blows for 36 hours. A phenomena that favored the choice By the European Community of Tocco da Casauria, in 1989, for the installation of wind turbines due to the wind electric power production. Being too noisy and not very productive, with another European project the first two pale were replaced with 4 turbines in 2007. This allow the City to abolish municipal taxes.
Among the more traditional economic activities there are: craft, the art of embroidery, the lace, bobbin and the iron beaten.
For further information:
Tocco da Casauria is part of the National circuit of Olive Oil Cities (Città dell’Olio)