Guidonia

(m 195 s.l.m., coordinate: 42°00N – 12° 43’ Est)

The territory of Guidonia Montecelio with an extension of 79.06 km² - northeast of Rome, few kilometers from the Ring Road in the Roman Sabina, ideally between the Nomentana and Tiburtina streets.

Montecelio rises on two hills that were occupied in prehistoric and Archaic period (sec. XV ac) from an urban center traditionally identified with the Latin city of Corniculum (home of ServioTullio according to tradition), which ceased to exist after being subjected to Rome. During the Roman period on the slopes of the hills they were built many rustic villas and on the highest peak (mt. 390) was built a small temple brickwork on travertine podium. Around Mille this top for its strategic value was chosen for the foundation of a castle, the CastrumMonticellorum, and again surrounded by walls that reflected prehistoric ones. Inside the fence it was erected an imposing quadrangular fortress, almost completely collapsed today, in which he was imprisoned and killed the Abbot of Subiaco, Peter, who was opposed to the expansionist aims of Monticelli Lords. At the beginning of the next century also the other hill housed a fortified center, the CastrumMontisAlbani, who after many vicissitudes was united in 1436 to the most important fief of Monticelli and depopulated the tutto.Nel 1145 the fortress in a few years gave shelter to Pope Eugenius III in flight from Rome to Farfa with the papal court, then I rather sided with the Emperor Frederick II against the Pope Gregorio VXI (1241). Then it belonged to various noble families (Capocci, Orsini, Anguillara) and then became the 1445 defense of the Church under the governors of Cardinals Estouville, Balva, Orsini, Della Rovere. In 1550, diminished the strategic importance, Monticelliwas bought by Cesi, who kept it until 1678, under the rule, there was a significant population increase, the country expanded, saw the rise of new buildings (Palazzo Cesi, of Santa Maria Arch Piazza S. Giovanni) and beautify existing churches (S. Lorenzo, S. Antoninus, St. Anthony, St. Mary). But it was in the following century, under the Borghese, the Community undertook the toughest jobs with the construction of large new Church of St. John (1710), built on the site of an older one. At the same time on the abandoned ruins of Monte Albano it was built the vast complex of the Franciscan St. Michael the Archangel, inhabited by monks until 1873. With the union of the Italian State the scales changed its name in Montecelio (1871). In 1916, during the First World War, the Air Force, occupied part of the land Montecelio, in the flat area to the hamlet "Le Prata", in order to create an Airfield where they trained student pilots. After the conflict the Montecelio Airport, named after the Ten. Col. A. Barbieri fell in combat increasingly acquired greater importance. The town diGuidoniaMontecelio was established by Royal Decree-Law of 21 October 1937 joining the towns of Guidonia Montecelio and already the first capital of the homonymous municipality.

 

Not to be missed:

Places of historic and architectural interest:

  • Church of San Giovanni Evangelista

  • Church and convent of San Michele

  • Church of San Lorenzo

  • Church of San Antonio Abate

  • Church of Santa Maria di Loreto

  • The Inviolata Park

 

Main events: 

  • January: feast of Sant'Antonio Abate (in Montecelio)

  • Last Sunday of April: procession of Maria Santissima Immacolata

 

Traditional recipes and typical product: 

  • The Pangiallo (panejallu): a typical dessert of Montecelio, a Christmas cake made with dried fruit, raisins, flour, sugar, dried figs, honey (almond, nuts, hazelnuts etc.).

  • The pinciarelle (and pingiarelle): pasta made with water and flour and topped with cooked fresh tomato sauce and local cheese, generally pecorino.

  • The Frascarelli: “gnocchi” (a typical pasta) made with flour and eggs

  • The “Pizza fritta” (fried bread/pizza): it consists of using the bread dough to create little pizzas which are fried in the local olive oil and then served with sugar or salt.

  • The PDO olive oil of Sabina: produced in an area of 44 municipality, thirty-two of which are in the province of Rieti, and twelve in the in Rome, included Guidonia-Montecelio.

  • The Palommella: a dessert usually made for Easter and tied to ancient Mediterranean traditions.

---------

For further information:

http://www.montecelio.net/montecelio
http://www.guidoniamontecelio.gov.it