Colli di Montebove - Roccacerro

(m 990 s.l.m. – 42°05’ 05” N – 13° 09’ 28” E)
Part of the municipality of Carsoli, with about 300 inhabitants, extended on the south slope of Mount Guard Orlando Carseolani Mountains, characterized by the ruins of the castle of the Counts of Marsi (IX-X century), with the oldest part lying along the way Rome Tiburtina Valeria. Called in medieval times Colli chain (from a chain that prevented the passage of goods and livestock if they were not paying the toll), it was a Roman outpost, where Valerius Maximus ran his Tiburtina Valeria. Since 591, under the Lombard king Agilulfo the country he ended up as the whole Marsica in the Duchy of Spoleto. With the arrival of the Franks passed the Berardi family, which is remembered BerardodeiMarsi, bishop and cardinal, suffering incursions of the Saracens and Hungarians, defeated in 916.

Places of historic and artistic interest:

  • Church San Berardo
  • Church San Nicola
  • Church Madonna della Speranza
  • Church Sant'Antonio
  • Church San Rocco
  • Church San Vincenzo (or Madonna delle Rose)
  • Cave Sant'Angelo.

Archeological areas:

  • Remains of the castle tower, in Santa Lucia and Fontevecchia.

Main annual events:

  • May, 1st: feast of San Berardo in Colli di Monte Bove

 

ROCCACERRO

Roccacerro, called Rocca Cerri in the Middle Ages or Rock of Cerro, that is Mountain village, is crossed by the Via Tiburtina Valeria, located 5 kilometers away from Tagliacozzo (province of L'Aquila), 23 kilometer away from Avezzano, it extends over a mountain ridge to 1138 meters above sea level, dominated in the highest part by the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli, an important historic-artistic monument, overlooking the mountain pass of Monte Bove and Marsyas. A old fief, considered a place of simple passage belonged for many centuries to the Colonna family, who built the church of Santa Mara of the Angels, in the 1700s, transforming an ancient fortress in the place of worship. The terrible bombing on 23 January 1944 resulted in addition to deaths and injuries and destruction the depopulation, with the majority of residents, currently just under 100, held activities of shepherds along the woods of the Apennines. The country is repopulated during the summer, especially in August, the anniversary of the patron saint San Massimo Dariex, on the occasion of the Pupazza Feast, a big female shaped puppet, that after having marched through the streets of the town is burned in the churchyard of the church.