Bussi

(m 344 s.l.m. – 42° 13’ N – 13° 49’ E)

The Municipality of Bussi sul Tirino (Pescara) (B'Bùsce in the local dialect) has about 2,600 inhabitants and is included in the Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park, on a hill dominated by a castle, which dates back about to the year 1000, belonged firstly to the Cantelmo Family, then to Ferdinando III de' Medici, and finally to the Bourbons. It is currently owned by the De Sanctis family, moved to Rome.

The name comes from the plant made of boxwood (Buxum in Latin), quoted as “Clerici de Bussi” in RationesDecimarum of Sulmona, 1308-1309 number 1098. It is called Bussi until October 25, 1889 by the Royal Decree n. 6689 and it has assumed its current name Bussi sul Tirino, because the village is crossed by the Tirino river, whose name comes from the greek word “tritano” (that means triple source).

The river rises in Campo Imperatore (Gran Sasso) and after an “underground 25-km trip” comes to light through the Lake of Capodacqua, passing through the area of ​​Bussi. Along the way, it is fueled by the Prisciano source and by a pond below Capestrano. The Tirino River, called Buscio in the Map Gallery of the Vatican Museums ordered by Pope Gregory XIII in the years 1580-1585, is known as one of the cleanest rivers in Italy, with a capacity of about 6000 l/second and with a temperature of the water of 11°C. Belonged to the province of L’Aquila from January 1, 1927 it then, became part of the new province of Pescara.

It has been damaged by the L’Aquila earthquake on April 6, 2009. Due to a rich presence of water in the territory, Bussi was one of the first industrial centers of Abruzzo. In 1901, the Franco-Swiss Society of Electricity, later called the Italian Society of Electrochemistry, was authorized to set up plants for the production of chlorine, using the river water for industry and for the production of electricity use. So in 1907, in Bussi, there was the first Aluminium production in Italy, with the electrochemical method.

After the war, an industrial center was created for the production of ferrosilicon for naval armor; chlorate for explosives, phosgene (carbon tetrachloride for poison gas), iodide and benzyl chloride (pepper gas and tear gas), benzoic acid (irritant gases). With the Electrochemical Society in Novara in 1921 the process of industrialization of the Alta Val Pescara was completed, and between 1929 to 1931, it has come to produce the Iprite, blister gas that can cause burns and destruction of cells, banned by the Geneva Convention of 1925, but employed for the conquest of Ethiopia by the fascist troops of Mussolini Benito.

In those years the plants passed to the Company Montecatini, which after the World War II chose the productive exploitation of: chlorine, chlorine methanes ammonium chloride, tetraethyl lead and trichlorethylene. The SIAC (the Italian Company Additives for fuels) formed in July 1966 from January 1967 administered the lead-alkyl productive sector, while between 1989 and 1994 were strengthening plants to produce chloromethane and hydrogen peroxide. In 1995 there arose a new plant to produce detergents, capable of cold-causing the whitening effect with bactericidal properties. Full employment has favored in the years 1930 to 1960 an incredible population growth.

Another important activity was brought into the town in 1700 by potters from Castelli (Teramo), also belonging to families of artists known in the industry. Taking advantage of the presence of clay along the Tirino river, they were able to open several ceramic shops (the ceramics of Castelli still remain a very popular ones), which in particular in 1800 have also produced works – that probably deserve more attention from the local government – held in the Museum of Popular Traditions (in the EUR) in Rome.

Not to be missed:

Places of historic and artistic interest:

  • The Medici family’s Castle

  • Church of San Biagio

  • Church of San Lorenzo (or church of Santa Rita)

  • Church of Santa Maria di Cartignano

 

  • Church of Madonna dell’Assunta

Main annual events:

  • February - feast of San Biagio
  • First sunday in june - "La Fiera"
  • August, fist saturday and sunday - "Sagra del gambero e della trota"
  • July - "Bussinjazz"
  • "LO SHERPA", enduro race


----------

For further information

http://www.comune.bussisultirino.pe.it/