Arsoli

(a m 470 s.l.m. 42°02’ N – 13°01’ E,)

Pronounced Àrsoli, Arzùli in the local dialect, it is a municipality of 1,616 inhabitants belonging to the metropolitan city of Rome Capitale. It is on the border with Abruzzo in the mountain territory of Simbruini.
Belonged until 1536 to the Passamonti family, the land was sold to the Zambeccari family because depopulated for the invasion of the Lanzichenecchi family. After that, Amico Passamonti was killed brutally by Marzio Colonna, whose family had owned the fief from 1495 to 1502. The lack of interest shown by the Zambeccari family reduced Arsoli in poor conditions. In addition, at the time of Pope Paul IV of Carafa (former bishop and archbishop of Chieti), other wars made even worse the situation. We owe to San Filippo Neri the salvation of the village. As confessor and spiritual leader of the Prince Fabrizio Massimo, he convinced the Prince to buy Arsoli signing the act on October 30, 1574, before the notary Prospero Campano, with Flaminio Zambeccari.
Fabrizio Massimo took care of the church and reorder the ecclesiastical goods facilitating the growth of the area, also issuing decrees for a fair administration of justice and ordering the construction of a new aqueduct for the town and the fortress.

Not to be missed:

Places of historic and artistic interest:

  • S. Bartolomeo palace

  • The baroque church

  • Church of S. Rocco

  • Church of SS. Salvatore

  • The Massimo castle

  • S. Filippo Neri palace

  • Gaddi palace

  • Marcelli palace

  • Sciarra nel Borgo

  • Ceas-Bernardini palace

  • Scaramella Manetti palace

  • S. Filippo Neri’s kindergarden

  • Passeri palace

  • The Guardiola in Piazza Valeria, in which there is a mile column, the 38th mile of the Via Valeria, and an octagonal fountain dating back to 1582, the year of the construction of the aqueduct. The renown author L.Pirandello gave to Arsoli the title of “Little Paris” due to its urban system and architectural preciousness.

Outside it is possible to walk in the paths of the "Fosso del diavolo” (The Devil's Ditch) where it is possible to admire the boulders of the “dead female”, the waterfalls of the “Fosso bagnatore” (the wetting ditch) and stunning beautiful views; the path of the "Are" along which there are farmyards for threshing grain and the boundary stones between the Papal State and the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, a coal and a view of the Aniene and the Turano Valleys.

 

----------

For further information:

http://www.halleyweb.com